Winter warming spicy red lentil soup
This soup is one of Liz’s favourite winter dishes. It’s inexpensive, quick to make, and is warm and filling. Perfect for #meatfreeMondays, lunch with friends, or for a quick and easy dinner.
- 1 chopped onion (red or brown – whatever you have in the cupboard is fine)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Chilli flakes to taste (1/2 a teaspoon usually gives enough heat without being overpowering, but leave out if you don’t like spicy food)
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1.25L of chicken or vegetable stock
Gently fry the onion for 5-6 minutes
Add garlic, chilli and coriander and cook for 1 minute
Add rest of ingredients and bring to the boil
Simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until lentils are soft
Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt, sour cream, or coconut cream and top with fresh coriander.
** Bonus **
If you want to boost the veggie content, you can add in 1 cup of finely chopped spinach or silverbeet while the soup is simmering.
Disclaimer: Liz forgot to take a photo of the soup when she'd made it as she was too busy eating it. She promises to try harder next time 😂😂
Posted: Friday 14 June 2019