Diatamaceous Earth (DE) is a completely natural, certified organic, food grade powder with a wide range of uses in the home and garden, and has health benefits for humans and animals.
If you missed our previous post about how incredible Diatamaceous Earth is, you can check it out here.
Today we want to talk to you about how you can use DE to improve your health on the inside, because it has a range of health and wellbeing benefits, including:
- Helps detoxify your system and remove heavy metals
- Improves digestion, bowel and liver function
- Increases collagen for stronger bones, joints and ligaments
- Improved energy (because you don’t have all those toxins)
- Helps protect from bacteria and viruses
- Natural worming and parasite cleanse
- Boosts silica to protect and strengthen skin, nails, and hair
Every day we are exposed to chemicals, pollutants, and environmental toxins. Our bodies are usually pretty good at cleaning these out, but sometimes they can build up and become a problem.
Signs you may need a detox include:
- Food cravings
- Weight gain
- Bad breath or BO
- Tummy troubles including constipation, diarrhea, bloating, gas, or other indigestion problems
- Skin rashes or breakouts
- Headaches or migraines
- Restless or broken sleep
- Fatigue, or poor concentration or focus
- Mood swings
Thankfully DE is here to help. It is a simple and effective detox that doesn’t require crazy diets or fasts. It’s naturally absorbent and abrasive nature means as it passes through your system, it absorbs harmful toxins. It’s the perfect internal cleaner!
So what does DE taste like? It’s pretty much a gritty, tasteless powder. You can mix it with water (it doesn’t exactly blend in well though and looks a bit muddy, but is perfectly safe). It can be also added into juices, smoothies, yoghurt, soups, or foods like porridge.
So here’s how you to use DE to detox.
- Take 1 teaspoon of food-grade diatomaceous earth with water once a day.
- Ideally take it on an empty stomach, so at least one hour before food or any medications or supplements, or two hours afterwards.
- Ensure you drink plenty of water. You need at least one glass of water after you take your DE, but you need to keep hydrated throughout the day.
- This will help your body flush out the toxins the DE is picking up for removal.
- See how you feel, but you can slowly increase your dose over several weeks to a maximum of one tablespoon (or 3 teaspoons) daily. This is best split and taken half in the morning, half at night.
Take for 10 days, and then give your body a rest for 7-10 days and start again. Do this on/off regime for up to 90 days for a full detox.
As you begin to detox, you may notice symptoms like headaches, fatigue, or even flu-like symptoms as your body releases toxins and yeast and parasites die off. This is a side effect of toxins leaving your body, not a side effect of DE itself. If you do encounter these symptoms, increase your water intake and reduce your DE dose for a few days. It’s the other reason we recommend taking it for 10 days max and then having a break to give your body a break from the sometimes hard work of detoxing.
Please listen to YOUR body. Food grade diatomaceous earth is nontoxic and generally considered safe for consumption. But if your side effects persist, reduce your DE dose, and if symptoms carry on, stop and see a doctor if needed.
Posted: Friday 14 June 2019