There's a whole pharmacy in one plant.
You might not realise it, but the holey heart-shaped leaves of the native Kawakawa plant have amazing healing powers. In fact, it is said that Kawakawa has the healing properties of all the other plants in the forest combined.
Kawakawa can be used both internally and externally. It has a long history in Rongoa (traditional Māori) medicine, and recent scientific studies in NZ and overseas have shown it has a vast range of medicinal powers which include anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
Internally it can be used to soothe digestive irritations and upsets, as well as help fight colds and flus.
But we especially love it for its topical properties, which include:
- It’s a great post-workout treat for tired muscles and is also good for sports injuries.
- It’s great for dry, itchy skin and skin conditions like eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties means it helps soothe joints suffering with arthritis.
- Kawakawa is wonderful for circulation and can help with cold hands and feet or other circulatory issues such as chilblains.
- Its bug-killing anti-microbial properties mean it is wonderful for treating skin infections including scratches and grazes, cuts and cracked skin, school sores, insect bites and stings. It can even help soothe and calm chicken pox spots and stop them becoming infected.
Kawakawa has such incredible properties its the star of not one, but two of our products:
In our Kawakawa Gel we’ve combined the powers of Kawakawa with black pepper and turmeric oils to specifically help reduce tension and pain in tired, sore muscles.
Our Soothing Skin - Kawakawa & Licorice Balm is a nourishing balm to speed up the recovery of cuts, scraps, minor burns, cracked and dry skin, scars, and inflammation.
Posted: Thursday 18 July 2019